The Chief Judge of Lagos State, on Friday, February 05, 2016 inaugurated Mobile Courts in the State to summarily try traffic offenders and mete immediate punishments to them where applicable. The Mobile Courts are to fully enforce the extant Traffic Laws in the State and take stiffer measures against road traffic offenders. The Mobile Court, which would move around in buses, is expected to end recklessness and impunity on our public roads and highways.
Below are the offences and their sanctions:
1. Driving in a direction prohibited by the Road Traffic Law; (that is driving against traffic, popularly known as “One Way” driving)” . Bullion vans are not exempted.
A 3-year jail term and vehicle forfeiture
2. Abandoned vehicle on Highway
N50,000.00 or 3-year jail term, or both
3. Riding a motor-cycle against traffic and riding on the kerb, median or road setbacks
N20,000.00 for 1st time offenders. Subsequent offenders will get N30,000.00 fine OR the riders’ motor-cycle impounded.
4. Smoking while driving
5. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout
6. Disobeying traffic control
7. Riding Motorcycles and Tricycles on major Highways in the state.
8. Violation of route by commercial vehicles
9. Riding motor-cycle without Crash Helmet for rider and passenger
N20, 000.00 or 3 years imprisonment or both.
10. Under-aged person riding a motorcycle
11. Operating a motor-cycle in a restricted areas on or prohibited routes
N20,000.00 and the riders’ motor-cycle impounded.
12. Driving without a valid Driving License
13. Learner drivers without permit
14. Driving with fake number plate will attract
N20,000.00 for 1st offenders and 6 months imprisonment or both for subsequent infractions.
15. Only Medical Emergency Vehicles can drive through traffic
The Era of recklessness and impunity on our public roads and highways in Lagos State is gone!!!